Being a fresher in the field of graphic design can seem pretty scary and difficult to fit in too. Unlike the institutions that teach you how to design and about the rules behind designing, there is no institution that teaches you how to approach the field and how to approach your prospective clients. Getting projects, handling multiple projects as well the clients are all part of the experience and one needs to be able to catch up to the work world before the carpet gets pulled from beneath. Here are a few tips for the budding graphic designers out there.
Clients are very important aspects of the work life. Unless you keep the client happy, both your pockets as well as your self-conscience are not going to be satisfied. There are basic facts you need to understand about clients before you begin handling projects and clients. Follow these tips for a good relationship with your clients.
- Be candid with your clients but do not over sell or undersell yourself
- Refrain using technical terms. Approach your client on layman terms.
- You needn’t always agree with your client. Being truthful never hurt and only shows your knowledge of the field.
- Keeping up with your PR pays off.
- Remember to get a portion of the payment before beginning your project as a safety deposit.
- Never argue with an angry client. Give them time to cool off and take time to resume discussion.
- Always take the pains to go the extra mile for your client. They will definitely appreciate the effort.
- Ensure that you draw out a contract or agreement with your client and stick to it too.
- Be professional in your every approach
- Look out for long term relations with clients and maintain contacts accordingly too.
Regardless of your field of expertise and the fact that you might be a freelancer does not mean you can escape the links of marketing. Marketing yourself is a must and you must remember to market yourself constantly too in order to prove your quality and worth to the clients. Here’s what you need to know:
- While introducing yourself keep your explanations and details to a minimum. Write down a small speech for your benefit too.
- Dont forget to market yourself through social media too. Use it to your benefit.
- Advertise yourself on a local scale as well as on a global level. Never underestimate your worth.
- Having a visiting card or a business card makes you look professional and leaves a good impression in those you meet.
- Leaving your advertisements on online forums can make you look too desperate. Refrain from doing so.
- Make a thorough research on the clients you need to target and approach them technically.
Apart from these, you need to remember that you are as much an asset as a liability to your clients. To boost your value, remember to diversify your portfolio and give it a sharp look. Don’t falter at the steps of failure, learn from them and move on. Choose your projects, don’t take up every offer and face difficulty at your cost. Take criticism on a positive note. Remember that inspiration comes from all your surroundings. Take a walk once in a while and keep your mind fresh. It is as essential to remain healthy as it is to remain updated. Take your daily food and water without fail.